THE MAN HE KILLED By Thomas Hardy


THE MAN HE KILLED

                                                           Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

        "AD he and I but met
        By some old ancient inn,
        We should have sat us down to wet
        Right many a nipperkin!
         
        "But ranged as infantry,
        And staring face to face,
        I shot at him as he at me,
        And killed him in his place.
         
        "I shot him dead because --
        Because he was my foe,
        Just so: my foe of course he was;
        That's clear enough; although
         
        "He thought he'd 'list, perhaps,
        Off-hand like -- just as I --
        Was out of work -- had sold his traps --
        No other reason why.
         
        "Yes; quaint and curious war is!
        You shoot a fellow down
        You'd treat if met where any bar is,
        Or help to half-a-crown."