Emily Brontë --- HOW CLEAR SHE SHINES

HOW CLEAR SHE SHINES

                                                                  Emily Brontë (1818-1848)

            OW clear she shines! How quietly
            I lie beneath her guardian light;
            While heaven and earth are whispering me,
            "To morrow, wake, but dream to-night."
            Yes, Fancy, come, my Fairy love!
            These throbbing temples softly kiss;
            And bend my lonely couch above,
            And bring me rest, and bring me bliss.
            
            The world is going; dark world, adieu!
            Grim world, conceal thee till the day;
            The heart thou canst not all subdue
            Must still resist, if thou delay!
            
            Thy love I will not, will not share;
            Thy hatred only wakes a smile;
            Thy griefs may wound--thy wrongs may tear,
            But, oh, thy lies shall ne'er beguile!
            While gazing on the stars that glow
            Above me, in that stormless sea,
            I long to hope that all the woe
            Creation knows, is held in thee!
            
            And this shall be my dream to-night;
            I'll think the heaven of glorious spheres
            Is rolling on its course of light
            In endless bliss, through endless years;
            I'll think, there's not one world above,
            Far as these straining eyes can see,
            Where Wisdom ever laughed at Love,
            Or Virtue crouched to Infamy;
            
            Where, writhing 'neath the strokes of Fate,
            The mangled wretch was forced to smile;
            To match his patience 'gainst her hate,
            His heart rebellious all the while.
            Where Pleasure still will lead to wrong,
            And helpless Reason warn in vain;
            And Truth is weak, and Treachery strong;
            And Joy the surest path to Pain;
            And Peace, the lethargy of Grief;
            And Hope, a phantom of the soul;
            And life, a labour, void and brief;
            And Death, the despot of the whole!