Anne Bront -- A great poet

THE DOUBTER'S PRAYER

                                                                  Anne Bronte (1820-1849)

            TERNAL Power, of earth and air!
            Unseen, yet seen in all around,
            Remote, but dwelling everywhere,
            Though silent, heard in every sound;

            If e'er thine ear in mercy bent,
            When wretched mortals cried to Thee,
            And if, indeed, Thy Son was sent,
            To save lost sinners such as me:

            Then hear me now, while kneeling here,
            I lift to thee my heart and eye,
            And all my soul ascends in prayer,
            OH, GIVE ME--GIVE ME FAITH! I cry.

            Without some glimmering in my heart,
            I could not raise this fervent prayer;
            But, oh! a stronger light impart,
            And in Thy mercy fix it there.

            While Faith is with me, I am blest;
            It turns my darkest night to day;
            But while I clasp it to my breast,
            I often feel it slide away.

            Then, cold and dark, my spirit sinks,
            To see my light of life depart;
            And every fiend of Hell, methinks,
            Enjoys the anguish of my heart.

            What shall I do, if all my love,
            My hopes, my toil, are cast away,
            And if there be no God above,
            To hear and bless me when I pray?

            If this be vain delusion all,
            If death be an eternal sleep,
            And none can hear my secret call,
            Or see the silent tears I weep!

            Oh, help me, God! For thou alone
            Canst my distracted soul relieve;
            Forsake it not: it is thine own,
            Though weak, yet longing to believe.

            Oh, drive these cruel doubts away;
            And make me know, that Thou art God!
            A faith, that shines by night and day,
            Will lighten every earthly load.

            If I believe that Jesus died,
            And waking, rose to reign above;
            Then surely Sorrow, Sin, and Pride,
            Must yield to Peace, and Hope, and Love.

            And all the blessed words He said
            Will strength and holy joy impart:
            A shield of safety o'er my head,
            A spring of comfort in my heart.