THE IVY-WIFE By Thomas Hardy



         THE IVY-WIFE

                                                                          Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

        LONGED to love a full-boughed beech
        And be as high as he:
        I stretched an arm within his reach,
        And signalled unity.
        But with his drip he forced a breach,
        And tried to poison me.
         
        I gave the grasp of partnership
        To one of other race--
        A plane: he barked him strip by strip
        From upper bough to base;
        And me therewith; for gone my grip,
        My arms could not enlace.
         
        In new affection next I strove
        To coll an ash I saw,
        And he in trust received my love;
        Till with my soft green claw
        I cramped and bound him as I wove…
        Such was my love: ha-ha!
         
        By this I gained his strength and height
        Without his rivalry.
        But in my triumph I lost sight
        Of afterhaps. Soon he,
        Being bark-bound, flagged, snapped, fell outright,
        And in his fall felled me!