Her Immortality is a great poem by Tomas Hardy

                                                        
               Her Immortality


    PON a noon I pilgrimed through
        A pasture, mile by mile,
        Unto the place where I last saw
        My dead Love’s living smile.
        
        And sorrowing I lay me down
        Upon the heated sod:
        It seemed as if my body pressed
        The very ground she trod.
        
        I lay, and thought; and in a trance
        She came and stood me by--
        The same, even to the marvellous ray
        That used to light her eye.
        
        “You draw me, and I come to you,
        My faithful one,” she said,
        In voice that had the moving tone
        It bore in maidenhead.
        
        She said: “‘Tis seven years since I died:
        Few now remember me;
        My husband clasps another bride;
        My children mothers she.
        
        My brethren, sisters, and my friends
        Care not to meet my sprite:
        Who prized me most I did not know
        Till I passed down from sight.”
        
        I said: “My days are lonely here;
        I need thy smile alway:
        I’ll use this night my ball or blade,
        And join thee ere the day.”
        
        A tremor stirred her tender lips,
        Which parted to dissuade:
        “That cannot be, O friend,” she cried;
        “Think, I am but a Shade!
        
        “A Shade but in its mindful ones
        Has immortality;
        By living, me you keep alive,
        By dying you slay me.
        
        “In you resides my single power
        Of sweet continuance here;
        On your fidelity I count
        Through many a coming year.”
        
        --I started through me at her plight,
        So suddenly confessed:
        Dismissing late distaste for life,
        I craved its bleak unrest.
        
        “I will not die, my One of all!--
        To lengthen out thy days
        I’ll guard me from minutest harms
        That may invest my ways!”
        
        She smiled and went. Since then she comes
        Oft when her birth-moon climbs,
        Or at the seasons’ ingresses
        Or anniversary times;
        
        But grows my grief. When I surcease,
        Through whom alone lives she,
        Ceases my Love, her words, her ways,
        Never again to be!