THE DEAD MAN WALKING By Thomas Hardy


THE DEAD MAN WALKING

                                                     Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

        HEY hail me as one living,
        But don't they know
        That I have died of late years,
        Untombed although?
         
        I am but a shape that stands here,
        A pulseless mould,
        A pale past picture, screening
        Ashes gone cold.
         
        Not at a minute's warning,
        Not in a loud hour,
        For me ceased Time's enchantments
        In hall and bower.
         
        There was no tragic transit,
        No catch of breath,
        When silent seasons inched me
        On to this death ....
         
        -- A Troubadour-youth I rambled
        With Life for lyre,
        The beats of being raging
        In me like fire.
         
        But when I practised eyeing
        The goal of men,
        It iced me, and I perished
        A little then.
         
        When passed my friend, my kinsfolk,
        Through the Last Door,
        And left me standing bleakly,
        I died yet more;
         
        And when my Love's heart kindled
        In hate of me,
        Wherefore I knew not, died I
        One more degree.
         
        And if when I died fully
        I cannot say,
        And changed into the corpse-thing
        I am to-day,
         
        Yet is it that, though whiling
        The time somehow
        In walking, talking, smiling,
        I live not now.